Roasted Veal with Lemon and Sage
(Serves 4 to 6)
– 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 2 pounds veal shoulder (deboned and tied)
– Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
– 1 cup finely chopped Spanish onion
– 2 cups veal, chicken, or vegetable stock or broth
– 1 lemon, zest removed, julienned and reserved, pith removed and discarded, and pulp sliced 1/4 inch thick
– 16 sage leaves
– In a large covered casserole over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Season the veal all over with salt and pepper, and sear the meat on all sides until golden brown, about 10 minutes, total.
– Add the onion and reduce the heat to low. When the onion is translucent, after 3 to 4 minutes, add the broth, sliced lemon, and half the sage. Cover tightly and simmer until the veal is cooked through, about 1 1/2 hours. (Insert a knife into the center, and look for a light pink to white color in the center and ensure that no blood runs out.)
– Stir in the julienned zest, and the remainder of the sage. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes more and serve, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
You can be the first one to leave a comment.