– 2 cups (10 ounces/ 285 grams) whole almonds
– 2 1/2 cups (350 grams) all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
– 1/2 cup (48 grams) unsweetened Dutch- process cocoa powder
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– Pinch of salt
– 10 tablespoons ( 1 1/4 sticks/140 grams) unsalted butter, softened
– 1 1/2 cups (295 grams) sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 3 ounces (85 grams) semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
– 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
– Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (165° C)
– Spread the almonds on a large baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
– When the almonds are cool, coarsely chop them. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside.
– Combine the butter, sugar, and eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the melted chocolate, vanilla and almond extracts, and lemon juice and mix on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice, for 2 minutes. Add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined; do not over-mix. Stir in the almonds.
– Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it in half. Shape each half into a flat log about 18 inches long and 3 inches wide. Place the logs several inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush the logs with the egg white.
– Bake for 35 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
– Reheat the oven to 200 degrees (95° C). Transfer the logs to a cutting board and cut them into 1-inch-thick slices. Lay the slices cut side down on the baking sheet, return them to the oven, and bake until crisp, about 30 minutes . Transfer the cookies to wire racks and let them cool completely. The biscotti will keep in an airtight container for 1 to 2 weeks.
You can be the first one to leave a comment.