Carciofi alla Romana
- 2 lemons
- 8 medium globe artichokes
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Have ready a large bowl of cold water. Halve the lemons, squeeze their juice into a bowl and add the squeezed halves. Remove the tough outer leaves from the artichokes. Trim the stems, if any, to 2 inches. As you prepare the artichokes place them in the lemon water to prevent them from turning black.
- Pour the water into a 7-8 qt. Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the artichokes and the 2 cups oil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the bases of the artichokes start to soften, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the artichokes from the pot with a slotted spoon, letting the oil and water drip back into the pot. Let slightly cool on a plate or chopping board.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a heavy rimmed baking sheet with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the artichokes are cool enough to handle, gently insert a finger into their centers to open them. Sprinkle the interiors with the salt and pepper. Hold each one by the stem and push it down onto the prepared baking sheet so its leaves spread open. Bake until the leaves are very crunchy and golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
You can be the first one to leave a comment.