Artichoke, Romaine, and Pea Soup
(Serves 4 to 6)
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
– 1 clove garlic, chopped
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
– 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and finely diced
– 12 baby artichokes, tops and outer leaves trimmed off, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges each, soaked in 1 quart water with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
– 6 cups hot water
– 3 heads romaine lettuce, well rinsed and cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
– 3 cups shelled fresh or frozen peas
– 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
– In a soup pot over medium heat, warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, and half the parsley. When the onion is translucent, add the potato and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
– Drain the artichokes and add them o the pot. Season with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Add the hot water, cover, and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes. Add he lettuce and the peas and cook, covered, for 15 minutes more. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning.
– Garnish each serving with mint, black pepper, and the remaining parsley and olive oil
You can be the first one to leave a comment.