Fava Bean, Artichoke, and Asparagus Fricassee
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 4 shallots, chopped fine
– 3 ounches prosciutto, diced
– 12 baby artichokes, trimmed of tops and outer leaves, each cut into 8 pieces and soaked in 1 quart water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1/4 cup water
– 1 pound asparagus, tough stems snapped off and bottoms peeled, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
– 1/2 pound shelled fresh or frozen peas, blanched for 30 seconds in boiling water if fresh
– 2 pounds fresh in-shell fava beans, shelled, blanched and peeled
– 1 small head romaine lettuce, sliced crosswise
– 6 leaves basil, torn
– salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
– In a wide, heavy pan or casserole over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallots and saute until golden. Add the prosciutto and cook 2 minutes more.
– Drain the artichokes, add them to the pan, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
– Add the asparagus, peas, fava beans, romaine, basil, and salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are just tender and still bright green, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve.
You can be the first one to leave a comment.